Monday, October 27, 2014

Dinner At Mitsuyado Sei-Men: The House of Tsukemen


A new row of restaurants has just opened at Bluebay Walk and we've been trying them one by one. Tonight, we walked into Mitsuyado Sei-men: The House of Tsukemen.  The menu explains the resto's rather long name. Mitsuyado means "the three arrows" derived from an old Japanese tale. Sei-men means noodle making, while Tsuke-men means "dipping noodles". Entering the resto, I found the interiors delightful - I felt transported to an earlier Japan. It felt like stepping into a courtyard surrounded by little shops (although it felt far more spacious than the little shops I've eaten at in Japan).



Scanning the menu, the prices for Tsukumen ranged from 270 for a regular one, to 450 for a Jumbo Large. Although I was curious to try their noodles, I saw Gyudon (250 with miso soup) and craved it. I haven't had my favorite beef rice for some time now, so noodles will have to wait another day. When my Gyudon arrived, it was piping hot, and tasty. It made me think of Yoshinoya though. Similar portion size and overall look. I also remembered my lunch time favorite during my college days at DLSU - the Gyudon sold at the mezzanine level of what was once the Aristo canteen - oh my, that Gyudon was cooked on the spot, and had raw egg on top. It was the absence of the raw egg tonight that made me think of an old favorite.


Before leaving, I took a look at the bicycle in one corner, by the kitchen. It's the kind of bike I once dreamed of owning, complete with a basket, and bell. It's so Japanese! I found the bread a cute touch too. I was told by the waitress that there was a bakery next door.


I walked through the connecting door and admired the Japanese pastries on display. Oliver wanted to have Sumiyaki coffee at UCC, though. All three restos Mitsuyado, Yamato, and UCC were connected and bringing food from one resto to another was allowed.  For anyone needing a Japanese fix, this 3-in-1 destination awaits. 





1 comment: