Saturday, July 14, 2012

Getting My Baby's Philippine Passport: So Fast, So Easy!




Thirty minutes. That's all it took from the time we entered the gates of the Department of Foreign Affairs, to the time we exited with our receipt.  A week later, the delivery guy from LBC was at our door, with my baby's passport.  It was a pleasantly uncomplicated process. Efficient, straightforward, convenient, and very baby-friendly.  I give the DFA props for its vastly improved passport application process which took 3 simple steps!  The experience was made even more pleasant by the quality of customer care given by the personnel. As a mother with an active infant, I appreciate how considerate and helpful and attentive the DFA staff were to me. Maraming salamat sa serbisyong may malasakit! 



Step 1: Submission of Documents.



STEP 1: Submission of documents. Applicants with special needs (such as mothers with infants, senior citizens, handicapped, and pregnant women) are directed to take a courtesy lane which has a shorter queue.  I just needed to bring Guijo's official NSO-issued Birth Certificate and a photocopy of my passport. Then I had to fill up a form. These documents were reviewed by an official, and when he saw that everything was in order, he instructed me to go to the cashier. This step took 10 minutes (5 minutes for me to fill up the form, which was a challenge because Guijo kept grabbing my pen). I had to wait 3 minutes for my turn to approach the submission counter; and another 2 minutes to transact at the window.


Step 2: Payment of Processing Fee at the cashier counters.



STEP 2: Payment at the Cashier.  I paid Php 1200 for expedited passport processing.  There were several counters processing payments, and the queue moved quite quickly.  A guard monitored and organized the queues, directing people to switch lanes when necessary to get the line moving more equitably.  The guard, seeing I had a baby, motioned for me to move to a shorter line.  The cashier behind the window made funny faces to distract Guijo while I reached for my wallet to get my cash. I liked the personal touch - from the guard and the cashier. It took all of 5 minutes to get this step done! Then I was handed a number, and I sat down in the waiting area, to wait for our turn to have Guijo's photo taken.



Step 3: Encoding and Picture-taking.



STEP 3: Encoding and Picture-Taking. I was amazed at how many stations there were, with computers and mounted cameras, for encoding personal data and taking of photographs. To be sure, there were many applicants waiting for their turn; but there seemed to be a commensurate number of DFA staff to handle the volume. I liked the set-up.  It was nothing fancy.  There were tables, with computers, then there were standing partitions - usual office paneling - on which were mounted digital cameras.  Then there were some office chairs, but more of monobloc plastic chairs for the passport applicants to sit on. As I said, nothing fancy. We're still a third world country after all. What's important is that the job gets done expediently and in relative comfort - away from the heat and the rain, and without the inconvenience of long queues. The process ran like clockwork. The numbers flew by - "ding", "ding", "ding" went the t.v. monitor on which the counters being freed up were being flashed. It took only 5 minutes of waiting time before it was our turn to find station number 41, which took me a while to find, all the way to the back.  There must have been a hundred stations there - it was a lot! 


The encoding and photo capturing station.



So finally, we found our counter. The officer assisting us expertly handled the situation. He asked me to get Guijo to stand on a chair across the camera. He then started clicking on his stapler to catch Guijo's attention, and as Guijo stared at the clicking stapler, and followed it with his eyes, snap! his picture was taken!  The officer had one hand on the stapler, and another on the mouse to control the camera. He did a little balancing act, leaning across his desk to get the stapler close to the camera so Guijo's face would would face forward.  We got the shot in one try. It was quick and Guijo didn't fuss! It took 5 minutes - and that included the long walk to find the station at the far end of the room. The actual picture taking took no more than a minute.  I was shown all the details that were encoded, and I was asked to verify - to check that the spelling, and birth date, and the photo taken were all fine.  I was done! I could pick up the passport in a week's time, or have it delivered to my house. On my way out of DFA, I passed by the LBC Delivery counter and paid the delivery fee, and scribbled my address on the delivery envelope. This step was done in 2 minutes. Then I took the escalator down, walked out the door, and headed to the gate to meet up with Narra and Yaya Jen and Yaya Vanna who waited for us at McDonald's across the street. I checked my watch. 30 minutes.  That's all it took. 


Passport delivery service by LBC.


A week later, the LBC delivery guy came with Guijo's passport as promised. With its arrival my passport application process could be declared a resounding success at last!  My faith in this country's ability to do things right is strengthened all the more. I am so happy that I did not encounter any fixers, or unnecessary red tape, or other forms of bureaucratic nonsense.  All I encountered were committed and efficient civil servants doing their job right, and with an added friendly touch.    



Guijo, happy to receive his passport (so it seems). 


Some Info:

-Passport applications are handled at the new Office of Consular Affairs of the DFA (DFA-OCA) located along Macapagal, behind S&R and across McDonald's. Parking is available both at S&R and McDonald's.

-Applicants must schedule an appointment by calling 737-1000 to get a date and time slot. Mothers applying for their babies NEED NOT MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. A father or mother (or official guardian) can bring an infant to the DFA-OCA any day and time to access the courtesy lane. Note: if you use the courtesy lane, you pay the special expedited fee of Php 1200 for your passport automatically. The cheaper regular rate of Php 900 is no longer an option available given that you "expedited" the process by taking the courtesy lane.

-www.dfa.gov.ph has relevant info on requirements, and downloadable forms too - I should have filled up my form at home, instead of on site, where Guijo kept pulling my pen.

43 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I will have my first ever passport application on October 13 and I am excited! My documents are ready, however, my NBI clearance says, “NOT FOR TRAVEL ABROAD”, something like that. I re-used my old NBI clearance which I used for employment, November of last year (It expires November this year and I want to utilize it as much as I can). Do you think the stamped sign, “”NOT FOR TRAVEL ABROAD”" will have an effect on my application? Here are the documents I have at hand:

    NSO Birth Certificate
    Old College ID
    Current Employee ID
    Transcript of Records
    TIN Card
    Postal ID
    NBI Clearance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello mommy Nikki,

    Just happen to bump into your blog while searching for processing baby passport for my daughter. suggestion lang hah, i-black out mo yung info ng anak mo sa passport nya or blur it. Just in case lang. Medyo visible kasi sa photo. sorry hah naparanoid ako with stuff like this ever since nagka anak ako. hehe

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janice,

    It's funny how I had a blurred photo, and I chose the clearer photo! I guess anyone who reads my blog would get details, like our full names, wedding date, birth days etc. I didn't take your suggestion the wrong way though, on the contrary I listened, and simply removed the clear photo of my kid's passport, I think it's nice of you to show concern and suggest caution, thanks :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Would you know how soon can an infant get a passport? like how many months? My baby just turned 3 mos old now.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. My name is Sarah and im from australia. I will soon be adopting a beautiful baby girl from Manila and was wondering how long i should be expecting to stay in philippines after her brith to wait for her passport so we can return to australia?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! A vital document required for applying for a Philippine passport is the NSO Birth Certificate, which is different from the certificate of live birth given at the hospital. I'm wondering though, if you get her a Philippine passport, won't she need a visa to enter Australia? I'm no expert in this field, so do verify from the proper authorities involved, but from my personal experience, right after birth a child has a certificate of live birth, which will be registered at the municipal civil registry (takes a few days), then the municipal registry assigns the birth certificate a number and it takes some time for the NSO record, once that NSO Birth Certificate is ready, a passport can be applied for (takes less than a week to get one), then for a Philippine passport holder to enter Australia - a visa. I suggest you call the hotline at 737 1000 to ask about both the NSO and Passport processing procedures. If you have completed all procedures for legal adoption and you are the legal guardian of the child, you may not require a DSWD (Dept. of Social Welfare and Development) clearance for bringing out minors (I used to need this clearance - and we secured this often when I frequently traveled without my parents back when I was a teenager). Good luck and thanks for dropping a line!
      Nikki

      Delete
  6. Hi Chet, I don't think they have a minimum age requirement, for as long as the NSO Birth Certificate is already available. I believe that as soon as you have that, you can apply for a passport. I hope this is the right info!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does a parent have to appear with the baby or can the grandmother appear because both parents are working overseas. Thanks,Lina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lina! I did this a year ago so it's probably safer to call their hotline to ask for the requirements, in case there's a change in policy. From what I recall, the requirements are different when it's the mother doing the process, and when it's someone else.

      Good luck!

      Nikki

      Delete
    2. Hi Lina! I did this a year ago so it's probably safer to call their hotline to ask for the requirements, in case there's a change in policy. From what I recall, the requirements are different when it's the mother doing the process, and when it's someone else.

      Good luck!

      Nikki

      Delete
  8. hi just want to know if pwed eba direct application and not online tnx

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi ask ku lang po kse surename ng bf ku ang gamit ng baby namin .
    ask ku lng kung pd ung affiavit acknowledge na nsa BC nia .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! We badly needed a passport for my 1 yo daughter.. Did they require you your marriage certificate? And if they don't require it, my other problem is my wife is using her maiden on her passport. Is it ok? hoping for your reply! thanks in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. does baptizmal cert. of the baby badly needed?i only have NSO birth cert. and health booklet (vaccine).for my baby?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure if I have the right question in mind, but I really find your blog so useful, and I thank you for sharing this info. But my question is, I also need to get or at least renew my passport, you think I can do both in one day. considering that I just got married and i need to change my last name? thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I did that with my passport renewal and change of name after I got married, I brought my old passport with my maiden name, and brought my NSO Marriage Certificate, and the new passport I got already reflected my married name. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your baby is lucky to get a passport right away. not like the dfa cebu the officers are strict and unapproachable. 4 times na pumunta ang 4 months baby ko but till now hindi parin nakakuha ng passport.kulang lang nso marriage license. sana single mother and declare ko

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello.. just wanna ask kung kukuha na passport ung 1yr old baby q wat kya kelangan kc gnmit nya ung last name na father nya na japanese.. pro dpa kmi kasal.. thanks in advance...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Nikki,

    I am so enlightened with this post of yours. As a Filipino mother working abroad and always happen to read blogs of complains and difficulties of our fellows from Phils., indeed this so different and heart-warming to read. Thank you so much for this very informative post.
    I just want to ask if you have any idea whether I can travel back to Philippines with my son (21months old) without taking him a passport? As I have heard from my superiors, they said my baby can still be under my passport if we travel. Is that true? Please advise and thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi!
    For all my trips with my babies, I have always been asked to present their passports, and the immigration officials really verified the photos and looked at my kids' faces. Airline staff also require passport info for babies, even if the child will sit on your lap - their names (as officially stated in the passport) must be reflected in the mother 's (or accompanying adult's) plane ticket. For both immigration and airline purposes, a passport for my babies was necessary for me :-D I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello , anong gagawin ko kapag ako din hindi pa nakakuha ng passport ? bali kaming dalawa ng baby ko wala pang passport ? single mother po ako at walang kasal na naganap sa amin ng ex husband ko , paano ako kukuha ng passport naming dalawa sa baby ko ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi just wanna ask gus2 ko kumuha ng passport baby ko 3yr old pero single mom ako na declare ko married ako kc father nya b4 delivery were ok after 2years were not together and no communication can i still get passport to her?? kasi nkalagay sa birth certificate nya merried kami ng father nya pero wla kami any document and shes using her father last name need po ba ng marriage contract if ako po personality kukuha ng passport nya?? thanks po

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello! ask lng po sana kung kailangan din kumuha ng passport ang tatay para mabigyan ng passport ang baby kahit hndi nmn xa ang kasama magttravel? and2 po aq sa saudi arabia at ang baby ay nasa pinas. uuwi po aq sa march at gusto q po sana pagbalik q d2 by may ay kasama q na ang anak q. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi miss Nikki, do i have to bring my baby for picture taking? He's 3 months old.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi po. Single mother po ako at name ko lang po talaga yung nakalagay sa NSO ng baby ko at ako lang din po pumirma. Illegitimate po yung baby ko. Magpapagawa napo ako ng Passport para sa kanya. ANO PO YUNG MGA DADALHIN KO NA REQUIREMENTS? Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello po, pwede mag ask, gusto ko po kasi mapadali at maka kuha nng passport para sa baby ko, daddy niya ay nasa Australia at wala pa ang nso birth certificate nya pwede ba ho gamiton ko yung original birth certificate nya para po sa requirements??? wala pa po kasi siyang nso tas ang baby q mag 1 month pa ngayung dec 9 , salamat po

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  23. Hi Nikki,

    This is informative.
    Is it possible also to renew my passport while my 8th month baby girl is also applying so that we only have one transaction. Please let me know if this is possible.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete