Friday, March 23, 2012

The True Value of American Dollar Bills in the Philippines: A Warning

The "small head" fifty dollar bill refused by banks in the Philippines.
Photo source: http://people.ku.edu/~kaf/pmoney/frn.htm

If a US dollar bill with a "small head" lands on your hands, beware. It's worthless in the Philippines. No bank would change it. No money changer would accept it. Not even the black market foreign exchange stalls in the sleaziest parts of town would trade it.  So I write this blog entry as a form of public service to fellow Pinoys who are still in the dark. If you have "small head" bills in your possession, toughen your hearts - be ready for heartbreak when you try to convert them here in the Philippines, or elsewhere in the developing world for that matter. They aren't worth a singkong duling.

Gone are the days when having dollars is a safe bet. I remember back in the 80's and 90's, when my parents would hold on to dollars as though they were lifesavers to keep us afloat when a currency crisis hits. I remember wads of dollars, tied with rubber bands, hidden under the bed. Hahaha, I know, I know, it sounds primitive. But there were 9 coup d'etats that year, and we were always ready to take flight at a moment's notice, so everything had to be transportable. Even our stash of cash.  Those days of political crisis, the preferred currency to stash was  the revered US dollar. GONE ARE THOSE DAYS. A dollar bill in your hand can be worth less than a wad of tissue to wipe your bum.  At least the wad of tissue is clean and can get the job done. The "small head" bill isn't even good enough for that. With so many versions and innovations on the design of US notes, banks and money changers have adopted policies on which kinds of bills are acceptable or not, and the public isn't always abreast with the latest standards.


Narra received a 50 dollar bill from a relative (thanks Tito! in case you're reading this) who was visiting from the US, and she was excited about it. I took her to the bank yesterday, with plans of opening her own little junior-saver's account with her own little passbook. I wanted to deposit all her cash gifts in her name, so she can grow up cherishing the rituals of saving. When I got to the bank, the dollar bill was refused. That was BDO. So I called my other bank, Citibank, where I had a dollar account. They said they accept old US bills for as long as I deposit it to my account and not encash it. So off to Citibank we went. And when we got there - "oh no!" said the bank officer when she saw the bill - "we don't accept this kind, this is older than the old version we accept" - huh? what? duh? come again? errrrrr? are you kidding me?  When is an old bill considered older than old? How infuriating. Apparently, bills published prior to 1991 are too old indeed. Those of the 1996 series are borderline cases - they must be in good condition - crisp, clean, and with no tears. If a 1996 series bill has the tiniest tear, it may be refused. The newer the series (2003) the better. Now is this fair? For banks to refuse to change money?

There's something we must remember about the nature of paper money as "legal tender" or a medium of payment allowed by law and recognized by a legal system to be valid for meeting a financial obligation. A US $50 dollar bill is legal tender in the US, and must be accepted there. Back home in the Philippines, which is its own independent country (Mabuhay and Inangbayan!), Philippine pesos are legal tender here and US dollars are not, which means the green currency can be refused. I can get mad all I want at the banks and money changers in the country, but by law, they are not obligated to accept US legal tender if they don't want to, after all, this land is NOT an extension of the US of A.

Now, before you think I am mad at the Tito who gave Narra that bill, let me set things straight - I treasure this gift and will keep it safe in her scrapbook for sentimental reasons. Many collectors are keeping their "small head" bills as they are becoming harder to find in the USA. I read a coin collector's forum, and followed their discussion on the perceived value of these rare bills.  I know the feeling of wanting to hold on to old designs of money. I was studying in Spain right before they converted to the Euro, and I diligently collected pesetas for posterity. The lovely thing about my coin collection is that the coins featured different parts of Spain. Every place I visited, I made sure to acquire and save a coin - and now, I have a way to relive my journeys through Spanish regions each time I view my collection.  I wish I also saved old 2 peso bills (the blue ones), and the old 5 pesos (with Bonifacio), and the old 10 pesos (the brown ones).... money of my childhood. Sigh, 10 pesos used to be my daily  baon in kindergarten.  So just like these pesos I feel sentimental about, many American citizens are becoming sentimental about the old "small head" bills from decades back. 

The updated "big head" version that's more widely accepted.
Photo source: http://people.ku.edu/~kaf/pmoney/frn.htm

The rest of the world, however, with no emotional attachment to things American, have no use for them.  From Cambodia and Myanmar, to Tanzania and Kenya - "small head" bills are systematically rejected. So what do you do if you have a wad of "small heads"? Look for US-based relatives and friends, and ask if they can take these dollars off you - or if they can exchange them for big head dollars that actually have value to you. They can use the "small heads" in the US where it is legal tender.  But for fellow Pinoys, please don't carry them with you as travel money elsewhere in the world - you may end up very, very frustrated indeed. 

And if family members and friends are planning to visit from abroad, do them the service of informing them beforehand to take only "big head" dollars with them. Because it's unfortunate when someone with a big heart gives a cash gift with a "small head" - for the value of the gift can be severely diminished,  in monetary terms, or otherwise.




13 comments:

  1. Thank you Dr. Nikki for sharing this. I love your blog! - Patricia Costales (your former POLISCI student)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear from you! Thanks for dropping me a line :-D

      Delete
  2. I chance upon your blog because I want to know where can I dispose my dollar/foreign currency if I open a foreign exhange business. Odd that i never asked this question when I was still working with a bank.

    Odd too, that BDO and Citibank refuse to accept your 'small head' green back(s) (literally dollar has green backs). When I was with PSBank, we only care if the dollar is genuine and legal tender (take note that a bill maybe genuine but may not be legal tender, eg. a Philippine currency with 'specimen only' markings printed in genuine paper is not legal tender, or a Bagong Lipunan bills that is already demonetized by BSP is genuine money but not legal tender).

    Odd once more, that money changers in PH is exchanging smaller US$ denominated bills with lower rates. But this is not the case with PSBank. As long as you have account with them, you can exchange all your 'green backs' at prevailing rates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chance upon your blog because I want to know where can I dispose my dollar/foreign currency if I open a foreign exhange business. Odd that i never asked this question when I was still working with a bank.

    Odd too, that BDO and Citibank refuse to accept your 'small head' green back(s) (literally dollar has green backs). When I was with PSBank, we only care if the dollar is genuine and legal tender (take note that a bill maybe genuine but may not be legal tender, eg. a Philippine currency with 'specimen only' markings printed in genuine paper is not legal tender, or a Bagong Lipunan bills that is already demonetized by BSP is genuine money but not legal tender).

    Odd once more, that money changers in PH is exchanging smaller US$ denominated bills with lower rates. But this is not the case with PSBank. As long as you have account with them, you can exchange all your 'green backs' at prevailing rates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      Thanks for leaving a comment here. I did call Citibank before going there, and they told me they do change old bills - even the small heads, and I had a dollar account with them, so I was confident that I could simply deposit to my account. When I got there, I was disappointed to discover that there's a "series" that's unacceptable. There are very few branches of Citibank here in Manila, so making time to go there was a hassle - I crossed to BDO - and had the same problems - I went home and wrote my blog entry! But now, months later, when I am not as annoyed, I'm thinking, maybe I should try with other banks? Just as an ongoing experiment of sorts? I don't have a PSBank account though, but I'll give it a try. Thanks!
      Nikki

      Delete
  4. Last week I returned from Ethiopia where I found that US dollars of series 1996 and prior to it are not accepted. I hope they become collectors item in later years with more value than at present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Filipinos and the Philippines as a nation should re-assess their position on the US dollar altogether.
    There are many politicians in the US who wish to see the dollar abandoned. The US economy is weak and will most likely get worse. With a 16 trillion dollar national debt, mostly held by China, dumping the dollar looks very attractive. Not only does it wipe out a huge debt in one stroke, but it also does massive damage to the Chinese economy.
    Alas it also means that most other nations in the world would also suffer as they hold large amounts of US dollars - which would become worthless pieces of paper.
    Big head or little head, they would be good only for toilet tissue.
    To make matters worse, nations including the Philippines need to hold US dollars to buy oil! Under the OPEC agreement oil may only be purchased in American dollars.
    The Philippines should hold ONLY the minimum number of dollars it needs to perform oil purchasing and Philippine citizens should get rid of all dollars in their possession and buy something more stable such as Singapore dollars or Australian dollars for example.

    other@villaverandwhite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving this comment :-D Up to now, Filipinos continue to hold on to US Dollars, you can tell from the fact that opening a USD bank account is easy to do in local banks, but opening another currency - say in Euros, or Singapore or Australian Dollars is much more difficult, it can only be done at a few main branches of chosen banks. And if you have USD you want to get rid off, you won't run out of family and friends who'd want to buy them. You're the second person I've heard this week, to talk to me about Singapore's ascendancy and America's imminent demise. I agree with you on the need to re-assess our relationship and reliance on US Dollars indeed!

      Delete
  6. WHEN LEAVING THE US I ALL WAYS CARRY NEW BILL I DEPOSITED 5 THOUSAND IN BPI BANK HERE HERE NO PROBLEM ALL WERE 50 DOLLAR BILLS
    DON,T EVER FOLD UR US MONEY OR PUT CREASE IT IT THE BANK WILL NOT TAKE IT MAKE SURE WHEN YOU COME HERE ALL WAYS BRING NEW BILLS FROM THE US BANK

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the tiniest tear on two $20 and no money changer will touch it in Digos City or Davao. Some say they only take $100 dominations for money changing, I don't get the strict rules it's really inconsequential as money will still spend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a silver certificate worth $10, 000 us dollar...where can i exchange it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about the BSP, does it exchange old US dollar?

    ReplyDelete