Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Joys of a Jollibee Party


"My Best Friend Jollibee"-themed birthday banner.



Earlier this month, we celebrated Narra's 4th birthday with a small party at Jollibee, Greenmeadows. We gathered some 60 people: 24 relatives from my side of the family; 24 from my husband's side; and 12 other guests (mostly staff, and a couple of friends who lived nearby). 5 dozen people - a cozy bunch. We were quite comfortable in the big party room at Jollibee Greenmeadows.  I'm glad we chose that room.  Weeks before the party, when I took Narra to nearby St. Paul College to buy her school uniforms, we stopped at Jollibee Greenmeadows to check out their party zone, and I made her choose which room she wanted for her party (since there were 2 options).  When she saw the wall murals and colorful chairs in the big room, she got excited!  



Party Zone 1 (big room) at Jollibee, Greenmeadows.


So when we got home, we were ready to book our party on-line, using Jollibee's fun-to-use Kids Party Website.  I did the booking with Narra on my lap. I let her choose the theme she wanted (she chose "My Best Friend Jollibee"), and I asked her what food she wanted to serve.  Narra enumerated the following requests: Chicken, spaghetti, burger, fries, Sarsi float, and peach mango pie (Oh dear, I am imagining the calories!).   Because she chose the menu, when her guests were already eating, she walked around the room and asked some of them "ok ba ang food?" (is the food ok?)  Haha. My parents found it peculiar that she'd ask that, so I had to explain that because she had ownership of the menu choice, she was keen on getting feedback (or praise!)


The Red and Yellow "loot bottles" packed and distributed by Narra.



Narra wanted to have a "costume party" after having attended several themed-parties.  I suggested to her if we can just have a "color-theme" instead, a "Jollibee-themed" party - and we'll ask our guest to come in Jollibee colors: red, yellow, orange, or white.  Our guests came looking very festive in red and yellow clothes!!!  We bought red and yellow water bottles to give away as souvenirs.  I took Narra to Divisoria to shop for fillers.  We also bought a piñata, which we had to cover up because Jollibee does not allow displaying stuff featuring licensed characters.  So, using the Jollibee invitations we got, we made Jollibee cutouts, and glued them randomly on the piñata so we could cover the prohibited image.  Narra enjoyed our art project.  She also enjoyed filling up the piñata and water bottles with goodies.  Next, we prepared the pabitin



Jollibee, holding the pabitin, as kids grab the prizes.


Traditionally, the pabitin hangs from a hook, and stays out of reach, until it is dropped by whoever is manipulating the rope.  At Jollibee parties, this is modified: there's no rope, and no hook on the ceiling. Jollibee himself, the mascot in heavy costume, stands precariously on a plastic chair, and holds the pabitin, while dozens of kids (and some adults too) grab the items hanging from the criss-crossed slats of bamboo.  I put only light and small items on the pabitin, and made sure they were easy to detach, otherwise, Jollibee (the mascot) could be in for a struggle!!    


Candy frenzy after the Jollibee piñata was pulled open.

I loved how "game" Jollibee was - I mean the mascot - or the guy inside the costume.  He truly was the life of the party.  He had a great sense of humor, and a very relaxed aura about him.  It's no joke balancing on a plastic stool, in full costume, with limited vision, and padded/gloved hands, all this while holding on to a prop that everyone's pulling at.  He kept in character the whole time, even as everyone scrambled for candies after the piñata was popped open, he stood still on that plastic stool, so he wouldn't step on anyone, and he posed with the piñata Narra made. What poise!



Narra, happily watching Jollibeee dance for her birthday!


I loved how Jollibee made Narra feel special. He showered her with attention, waving at her as he danced, and posing with her for countless photos - and he mindfully performed a lot of fun poses and expressive gestures, for variety - he sat on the floor, and later lay-down! And kids just hugged him to their hearts' content like one giant stuffed toy.  He gave quality time :-D I guess it helped that we took a dinner slot, from 7-9 pm, and there were no other parties after us, so he wasn't rushing his stay.   


Quality time with Jollibee who sat on the floor, cradling Narra and Guijo.


Towards the end of the party, after the candle blowing, Jollibee mimed a captivating birthday message for Narra, performing a speech done in hand and body movement, and the audience (and Narra too, of course) attentively listened to the host as he translated.   It was a heartwarming end to an easy party.  And Narra will grow up remembering her special day with her best friend Jollibee.  



Narra and her Best Friend.


30 comments:

  1. hello saan po kayo nakabili ng pinyata na jollibee? salamat po

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rochelle, sorry for answering this late - I hope this can still help - I got the pinata from Divisoria and covered it with Jollibee invitations which I didn't use (I just texted our guests).

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello po saan kayo bmili ng loot bottles? and hm po?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello ask ko lang sana yung balloon pillars did you have to source that separately or kasama na sya sa package? (30 pcs balloon on the party package)

    thank you so much. :)

    - khandice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helo po san kayo nkbli nung loot bottles and how much?tnx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who among us doesn't love Jollibee? Let's admit it, almost all of us is well entertained of Jollibee mascot especially Jollibee's dancing ability plus Jollibee's cute face. Whenever I recall my childhood memories, eating to Jollibee is what I love most together with my family. Up until now, whenever I had a chance, I eat to Jollibee and order the same food that I love when I was a kid. Want to know more interesting topics? Check more here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. he has a good point j9n99w4f05 best replica bags replica bags louis vuitton replica bags us right here w1z11a4u34 replica bags online shopping india look at this web-site r8l02a1n67 best replica bags replica bags ebay

    ReplyDelete