Thursday, May 9, 2013

The "Happy Cream Puff Croquembouche" for My Parents' Anniversary

The Croquembouche from Happy Cream Puff.

I was looking for something new, and ended up getting something traditional - but novel nonetheless.  It was my parents' anniversary last week, and I volunteered to take care of getting them a "cake".  I considered the usual trendy suspects: a custom-crafted fondant cake, or cupcakes with customized toppers, or cake pops.  In the end, I decided to go for a less common option (at least here in the Philippines, that is): I got a croquembouche.  And it wasn't just the usual croquembouche made of uniform profiteroles piled high and bound together with threads of caramel. Nope.  I got the colorful variety of cream puffs iced in various flavors, and festooned with fondant flowers for a bit more flair. It had two eclairs wedged at the center of the tower for the dedication: "Happy Anniversary Walter & Sonia".  What a joyful looking creation it was from Happy Cream Puffs.



My parents, and my excited daughter Narra, discussing whether we
could have our "cake" and eat it too!


In the past, the first pastry shop that came to mind when considering getting a croquembouche in Manila is the well-established Dulcinea.  They offer the classic version, which looks very much like the elegant desert centerpieces that figure prominently in French weddings, baptisms, and other family celebrations.  Happy Cream Puff, by comparison, has more adventurous arrangements and flavors to offer.  At their shop, they have a design catalogue of petit puff design combinations to choose from.  There are also trims available, for an added fee.  Available trims include fondant ribbons, from elaborate ones used as toppers, or a simple bow at the bottom, or in my case, gum paste roses in red and white, framed by green leaves, scattered throughout the tower.   The croquembouche looked too pretty, it felt a shame to dismantle it.  My dad kept saying: "you can't have your cake and eat it too" and so he wanted to just "keep the cake".  My daughter Narra, on the other hand, has been dying to get a piece.



Seated: Dad, Narra, and mom; Standing: Marion, me and Guijo.

Happy Cream Puffs' Croquembouche comes in three sizes: small (approx. 50 pcs); medium (approx. 75); and large (approx. 100).  I initially ordered a small one, then upgraded it to a medium-size last-minute, on the very morning I was scheduled to pick it up.  Good thing the guys at Happy Cream Puff make their pastries fresh, assembling the cream puffs just minutes before pick-up/delivery.   The staff were very accommodating with my requests, for additional decor, and change in size, and even for my requests for boxes and paper bags to put the cream puffs in so I can send them home to guests as souvenirs.


My daughter Narra, leading the effort to dismantle the croquembouche.


My parents' anniversary celebration was a lunch buffet with family at Beurre Blanc in Resorts' World.  Everyone was full by the end of the meal, and desert was included in the spread, so the cream puffs really had to be packed for taking home. We put a couple of dozens in boxes for the celebrants to keep, and the rest went to paper bags for taking home...and a few petit puffs ended up being eaten on the spot despite protestations of being too full to eat another bite.  Guests reported that the puffs were fresh, with a creamy light filling, and a crunchy exterior... true to its name: croque en bouche in French means "crunch in the mouth".  True to its name indeed, "Happy Cream Puffs" made us happy.


Family pic outside Beurre Blanc.

To order your own croquembouche from Happy Cream Puffs visit:
http://www.happycreampuff.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment