Sunday, September 9, 2012

Enjoying Two-Ecom Center's Novel Features

Before our ascent: Narra and her Lolo at the base of the stairs at Two-Ecom Center.


We've been seeing a lot of this building from outside on our way to and from Mall of Asia in the past year.  Even before construction was completed, we could already see the unique contours that made Two Ecomm a distinctive building.  It had a huge hole in the middle!  When at last, it became operational, that hole in the middle was further emphasized with digitalized intelligent lighting!  Access to the building is dramatic, through grand staircases from either side of the building, meeting in the elevated promenade a few stories up.  The first time we visited the place, we were with a happy bunch of senior citizens - my mom's siblings.  So we decided to take the escalators instead of the stairs.  They enjoyed that simple activity so much! Haha, it's as though they haven't taken elevators before.


My mom: happywith her siblings (Papa Toots, Papa Bendo, Mama Myr, Papa Joe)


I remember traveling to Cambodia sometime in the mid-2000s - not too long ago really, and I saw on the news that the country's first escalator had just been installed then. I saw the interviews of the first few passengers who bravely tried the moving stairs.  There was a guide explaining the proper use of the escalator, and media covered the event.  Some passengers reported feeling dizzy, and explained how disconcerting the experience was.  I was fascinated at how something so "natural" to me, as stepping on an escalator, is an entirely new experience for others.  I was reminded of this again recently, when we hired a nanny for Narra who came from a remote village, and who'd traveled to Manila for the first time.  I did not realize it was her first time to ride an escalator when we went out to the mall.  I had to train her, and walk her through the process several times, to let her gain confidence.  So back at Two Ecomm, my mom and her siblings were giggling like little children as they took the escalators!  And here's why: the escalators were like wind tunnels!  The movement of air through the outdoor tubes added another dimension to the experience.  The escalators were short, with landings in between them, but taken together, the succession of sections reached quite a height, and the process felt like scaling a mountain.  This had the effect of heightening our anticipation for what we'll see once we reach the end of the ride.


Group Photo on the second landing.


On one of the landings separating two escalators, our group took a short break to pose in front of the building's name. My mom's brother, Joe Serranilla, an electrical engineering expert who runs his own electrical consulting firm, is proudly involved in the building's construction process.  Papa Joe treated us to merienda that afternoon we were there. The occasion was our despedida for two uncles who were flying back to Canada the next day, my Papa Bendo and Papa Toots.  It was a pleasant afternoon - not too hot, and not raining - just right and perfect weather-wise.  When we reached the end of our trip on the escalators, we were greeted by a great view!


Windblown at the top of the escalators: Mom, Myself, and Narra.


We were surprised to see a green expanse of carpet grass that created the illusion of such wide open space.  With Manila Bay in the distance, our eyes were drawn to the horizon, past the glass railings.  I saw so much sky and sea, and felt the wind on my face it seemed like I was on a huge cruise ship, and not on a building at all.  On one side we had a panoramic view of Manila's skyline, on the opposite side, we had the calm and majestic breadth of Manila Bay.   From another angle we could see Mall of Asia, and the Ferris Wheel on the water's edge.  I live in the area and see all these views on a daily basis, still, I felt excited to see all the familiar views from Two-Ecom's elevated vantage point.  It must be the combination of the height and the wind - I just felt I was above all the congestion and confinement of city living... I could breathe!  My dad took Narra's hand (or she took his) and they started to head towards the sunset, and it was a picture perfect moment.


My dad and my daughter strolling to the edge.

We had merienda at "Just Thai" and had a good time relaxing. It was a very pleasant afternoon.  A few weekends later, Oliver took us there at night to have dinner at "Uncle Cheffy's", and Narra loved the lighting effects on the building.  The view of city lights is quite nice too, but I personally prefer the daytime view - though a good compromise would be to go there to watch the sunset and to stay on for dinner to see the night lights.  A building with imagination can do wonders to one's spirit.  I'm planning to go back to Two-Ecom soon, to have generous servings of fresh air and great views with my next meal at one of the restos there.

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful new building! Would like to have visited it before leaving for the US. But, it was not completed yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping a line! There are quite a number of new buildings in that area, I am surprised at how fast the cityscape is changing by the bay - one could feel we're gaining some momentum - if the rise of new buildings is any indication, the economic forecast for the Philippines is looking good these days!

      Delete
  2. I went over your blog, browsed on past entries. A charming site, interesting articles, sensitive insights even on seemingly small matters. Keep it up, Mommy Nikki!

    ReplyDelete