Friday, May 4, 2012

Narra's 3rd Birthday & The Explorer's Map For Her Backyard Party

The Explorer's Map I Made For Narra's 3rd Birthday Party

Narra's turning 3 in a few days and she knows it.  When asked by strangers "How old are you?" she gives a rather long reply - one she launches into on her own volition, and without my prodding or coaching. She'd say something like: "I am 2 years old now, but on May 7, I will already be 3 years old because that's my birthday" (she'd say this in fluent Filipino, or if the mood strikes her, though less frequently, in English as well).

I feel a bit guilty because party planning has been low on my list of priorities given how busy we've been on starting a business, and renting out our condo, and my job applications - and all the paperwork involved. I managed to get things done, however. Like giving out invitations, buying decorations, arranging for food, and getting Narra to choose her own cake. I showed Narra her choices for themes by sitting down with her in front of the computer, and showing her pictures of cakes from the on-line shops of Red Ribbon and Goldilocks, as well as other independent cake makers with photo galleries of their awesome creations. I let Narra tell me what she wanted - and choose she did. She was clear, and firm with her choice. It was the "Dora the Explorer" cake from Goldilocks that won her affection.

We're giving her a small party at my parents' house. We're inviting first cousins only, which makes it intimate, and manageable - although, in the Philippine setting, that still results  in a good-sized party. My parents just built Narra a tree house, which is perfect for the activity I planned for Narra's cousins. We're planning to do an exploration of my parents' garden where I will hide stuff for the kids' loot bags. They'll have to look behind shrubbery, climb a treehouse, pass through a "tunnel" that connects the garage, to the shady patio at the back.  We also made sure the green mango tree has ample fruit so the kids can pick some. 

I was happy to find very helpful blogs that offered design ideas, templates, and clipart for making my treasure map.  From Kira Franz-Knight's blog Tangarang (tangarangblog.blogspot.com) I got to download the templates for a treasure map, and get drawings for treasure-hunt paths, and stuff found in the garden.  Her site is ultra cool, and a party-planner's treasure trove for DIY decorating ideas. Armed with her artwork, I had fun making a map for Narra's party, with clues for the hidden objects for kids to find.  It was easy enough to find clipart of Dora from www.dora-the-explorer-adventures.com, I chose one and attached it to my map. And voila! Narra's excited!

Getting the map printed out got me into party mode (at least for a few minutes). I'll spend tomorrow preparing the garden for the party, and purchasing all the loot. I hope it all turns out well on Sunday. We'll be extremely busy that day (CRAZY BUSY: we open a new branch that day, for our food business; and it's the day we turnover our condo to our tenant; and it's Narra's birthday party too! Yikes!)  It's probably not the wisest thing to have a birthday party when one is so busy - but Narra's been talking non-stop about her birthday that I do not have the heart to set it aside this year. She will always be worth making time for, even when things get crazier and busier. 

I'll take pics of the actual exploration when party day comes. Stay tuned!

To see Kira's cool design blog visit:

2 comments: