Thursday, May 3, 2012

Guijo's Good Disposition & How He's Making Me A Morning Person



He wakes up smiling. A smile so pure and infectious, we can't help but smile right back. Oliver and I have been basking in Guijo's sunshine for months now, as our daily source of happy hormones so early in the morning.  He goes from sleep-state to full-awareness in a split second, with no grouchy transition in between. He simply wakes up, happy. Just like that.  Especially in the mornings when he rouses naturally from a good night's sleep.  I wake up to his smiling face and twinkling eyes, and I am awash with gratitude, to the entire universe, for giving me this precious gift - received in abundance. Love, hope, contentment, happiness, peace... and many other beautiful things. I feel them all, when Guijo wakes me up.  I feel the weights of my life's kharmic balance shifting favorably each moment I get lost in his eyes. All wrongs are righted. All pains are worth it. All roads not taken aren't remembered with regret, but with joyful acceptance - because the road I did take led me to this - my mornings ignited by Guijo's smile.

I'm not exactly a morning person. I get up early when I need to, with the help of an alarm clock - but I do so out of obligation.  Guijo, on the other hand, looks like he's so thankful to be awake, so excited to get up, so eager to get on with his day, and so happy to see other people waking up too. Having him, is like getting a wake up call from God, it's like I am being told to seize my days, to rouse my life from sleep mode, and embrace every waking moment with energy and enthusiasm.  A good friend from long ago once told me he saw in me a very enthusiastic person - explaining to me how the word "enthusiasm" comes from "en-theos", with the root "theos" referring to God - to be enthused, is to be infused with the breath of God.  In my enthusiasm he saw a person fulfilling God's plan, and doing God's work.  

Sometime last year, I lost all enthusiasm. No amount of material comforts (a new bag, a new phone, a new condo) could get me enthused.  No amount of non-material spirit-lifters worked either - not music, nor dance, nor prayer. I had a dry spell, so prolonged I felt like parched land that has fallen under an eternal drought. But Guijo's smiles, like drops of water forming awesome stalagmites, has led to my healing, and I am feeling excited about everything, again. I am eager to wake up, with a ready smile. Sigh (a happy, happy sigh). With Guijo it is always an "oh what a beautiful morning" or "umagang kay ganda" moment. So early in the day, he makes me feel like I am such a lucky one.








5 comments:

  1. Our own child's smile is priceless... It heals, it wipes away the tears and gives us hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Badette - I can't wait to exchange notes with you on our thoughts on motherhood :-D I miss you, dear.

    ReplyDelete