Saturday, May 26, 2012

Guijo's Gymboree Play Class and Being a Kid With My Kid

Guijo's first time at Gymboree was loads of fun!


I blinked... and in that brief moment my baby learned to sit, and crawl, and stand.  Now, he's even daring to take a few wobbly steps.  How did all this happen so fast? It really feels as though I just blinked for a split-second! My darling Guijo is still a newborn in my stubborn head, and though I am seeing him develop rapidly before my eyes, it's taking a bit longer for my brain to process the information.  Guijo's been such a perfect baby thus far, all cute and cuddly, that I want savor this stage far longer than his growth rate allows. So off to Gymboree we go, for his benefit, and mine! 


Guijo and I, waiting in line to have our turn to slide a ball down a slide.

Spending time with Guijo in the context of structured playtime allows me the chance to celebrate his milestones better because I get to participate fully in his process of discovery.  Sure, he can practice his newly learned skills at home - or any other place for that matter - but going to Gymboree offers the opportunity to shut out the hundred other things that demand attention - and I get to focus solely on Guijo.  Narra was with us at Gymboree, but she couldn't join the play class, which was exclusively for babies around Guijo's age.  My poor daughter had to watch from the sidelines, but I got her to do something fun so she wouldn't feel left out - I asked her to take photos of us!... and holding the camera thrilled her (although all the photos used in this blog entry were all taken by Yaya Ruby - Narra's shots were at crazy angles).  I didn't feel too bad for Narra though, because she too, had a class scheduled after Guijo's, and I did get to spend quality time with her as well. It's good to let my kids get used to the fact that they'll need to take turns getting dedicated parent time.


Narra, watching from the sidelines, her class starts right after Guijo's.

Learning to take turns is something kids learn in play class.  We had to queue up to use the equipment and watch all the kids in the class give each activity a try, whether it's to climb up an incline, or slide down a plank, or bounce on an air tube.  I very much value giving my kid early exposure to social situations requiring some patience.  It's important for him to learn that the world does not revolve around him, and that public spaces are shared with others.  In such a social setting, a certain conduct is required, and he will learn this intuitively (at least I hope he will).




At one point during play class, kids were allowed to pick out toys from a huge bin, and they got to play in a circle with other babies.  It's fun to see the kids play with their chosen toys, then become fascinated by a neighbor's toy - migration is inevitable, and toy-switching soon takes place - with an inspiring period of happy toy sharing in between (with Guijo that's the case...although with other kids, there were some tears involved). I found it so precious and encouraging to see Guijo behaving like a socially well-adjusted kid.  I'm one proud mama! It's too early to tell, but if this first class is any indication, Guijo's proving to be a tiny "Li'l Mr. Nice Guy".  He was just congenial and easy to handle. 


Playtime in a circle with other kids.

And then there were the activities that required all the babies (and their mommies) to do things together, like putting our babies on an air tube, and getting to grab onto handles, and holding them up as we turn the tube into one giant baby-friendly see-saw, going up and down gently.  Guijo held on to the handle tightly, and sat upright throughout the entire activity. He was very well behaved and stable, which was a huge relief. I wasn't sure how he'd react, and I was mentally steeling myself for a tantrums and tears which never came, thank heavens!

Guijo, well-behaved as we did the "see-saw".


Another activity I enjoyed involved a parachute with multi-colored panels. We put the babies on the parachute as it lay on the ground, then we adults, grabbed the edges, stood up, and lifted the fabric and spun around slowly as our babies tried to make sense of it all and struggled to find their bearings with their eyes and their bodies.  It was good to see Guijo reacting stably to an unfamiliar sensation.  As the parachute was lifted off the floor and he found himself re-orienting his body to stay somewhat upright, I saw him seeking me out in the confusion, locking eyes with me, and breaking into a smile that seemed to say "hey, mommy you're here! I know I am safe!".  We also had this activity involving an abundant supply of bubbles, which Guijo loved to pop. He was squealing gleefully throughout the activity, and I couldn't help but feel jubilant just as well.


Mother and son, paying attention to the teacher.

Gymboree requires parents and caregivers to always be within a hug's reach from their kids while on the playfloor.  This means that we get to do everything with our kids and be hands-on with all the activities.  It's playtime for Guijo, as well as for me, and it feels a lot like me getting to be a kid with my kid.  It's funny how we were both reduced to being obedient students in the presence of our teacher.  I've always been a very enthusiastic and willing student, eager to listen to instructions to learn to do something new. At Guijo's playclass, my son and I worked in tandem, as a team - partners in play! It's precious bonding time that allows me enjoy the moment - this brief and fleeting moment - when he is still learning to take baby steps.  I know this moment will be over all too soon, but in the meantime, I have Gymboree to go to, so I can savor every second with my baby, as he learns to use his body, and adjust to new situations, and be with other babies his age. 

1 comment: