Tuesday, August 28, 2012

At Universal Studios Singapore With Our Young Children

Oliver and I with our sleepy kids before entering Universal Studios Singapore.


I've read it in blogs and heard it from friends: Universal Studios Singapore is not as baby-friendly as Disneyland - so we went to the theme park with that mindset. We were going to make the most out of the situation - the basic plan was to hit the baby-friendly attractions while the kids were awake, and make a mad dash for the grown-up attractions while they took naps.  To put this plan into action, we needed a few essentials: 1) Universal Studios Express Passes - to allow us to breeze through queues; 2) Strollers - one for each kid, so they can nap on the go; 3) The Child Swap Program that allowed Narra to go twice on a ride she liked, without having to queue up twice; 4) the Baby Center, where I could wash, change, and feed the kids in air-conditioned comfort, and most importantly, 5) Helpful companions! My mum-in-law Mama Rubi, and sister Marion joined us on this trip to help us take turns in watching the kids.  The result: precious bonding time! (though we were all dead tired by day's end).



With Guijo, riding King Julien's Party-Go-Round, Madagascar.

I got to bond with our birthday boy, Guijo, on the few attractions fit for babies: King Julien's "Party-go-Round" in Madagascar; "Lights, Camera, Action" in New York; and in the land of Far, Far, Away - I got to take him on "Shrek's 4D Adventure" (we sat on stationary seats designated for mothers with lap babies) and the attraction he enjoyed the most: "Donkey Live!"  The interactive show was a hit with our kids. Guijo clapped as Donkey sang his short Happy Birthday song, and both Narra and Guijo danced along quite happily when the audience was asked to join the fun.  I liked the fact that that the theater was cool, and dark, and we were seated in benches, and this offered a welcome break from the intense heat outside.  Guijo also enjoyed the Baby Center for the same reasons. It was cool. And quiet. And he could walk around without us restraining him. And we adults, enjoyed the sofa to rest on. My sis gave Guijo an ice cream cone and he was delighted! It's a good thing the Baby Center had a sink and nice changing table, so I got to wash his sticky fingers and face, and change his clothes after.



My sis Marion, and Narra, entering Madagascar zone.


Narra, being taller than Guijo, could ride on more attractions. She was already tall enough for the junior roller coaster, "Enchanted Airways" and she was thrilled! We took advantage of the child swap program so she can ride on it twice, first with me, then with her Ninang Marion.  I had a great time riding the attractions on this trip. With Narra, I felt nervous/excited like a typical anxious/proud mama; with my sister, I felt nostalgic - and I reminisced about all the other rides we took together since our youth - from the Octopus ride at our school fair, to the caterpillar in Fiesta Carnival, to our first trips to Disneyland and Universal Studios decades ago.  I loved having my sister there, she always says the right things at the right time that makes me snap out of any negative modes I get into.  I say something to complain, she'll call my attention - and coax me back to my happy place - she's my guru! She's my ticket to a happy trip! I'm glad we had the chance to do some rides together, just us sisters.



Narra, greeting "Diane" the newly hatched Triceratops in Jurassic Park.


I was most scared with the ride I had with my Mom-in-law - we tried "The Mummy"  together, just the two of us, while Oliver and my sister waited outside with the kids.  The ride was in complete darkness at times, and rather jerky, and full of rapid twists - and I wasn't scared of the ride per se, but of my mum! What if she gets a neck sprain, or loses her eyeglasses, or God forbid, what if she faints! Oh dear! I invited her to join me on the ride so I felt responsible! I was soooo scared!!!  What will my sis-in-laws say??? But Mama won my respect that day. She went for the roller coasters and thrilling rides with enthusiasm and great energy, and emerged youthfully triumphant. She rode with Oliver on a roller coaster, and he looked scared! (and I could relate with him! riding with a senior citizen is peculiarly nerve wracking). She's one cool lola who knows how to have fun! 



"The Mummy" parading down Sesame Street in New York zone.

One ride that proved to be quite cathartic, was the ultimate roller coaster: Battlestar Galactica.  Oliver and I left our napping kids with Mama and Marion at the Diner in Hollywood zone, and we speed walked to Sci-Fi City and rode Cylon, the blue coaster.  The ride had so many twists and turns at such exhilarating velocity that even my ponytail came undone, with the elastic flying off mid-ride.  Oliver and I were shouting our guts out - and boy, all that screaming felt good!  Everyone needs a good scream every now and then - it's just so liberating.  I felt shaken clean, inside out, with all the bad vibes dissipating in the air.  We were still high from Cylon when we rushed to "Transformers", and that ride left me spell-bound.  That was the one ride that made me feel like a little kid, fully absorbed in a make-believe world, and I truly believed as Optimus Prime looked me in the eye, that he was really talking to me, and me alone.  It was a violent, brutal ride - and I am really against war and violence in real life - but I have to admit, that ride, had a great story-line and worked some kind of magic.  I allowed myself, for a moment, to be someone else, to get into character.  The last time I remembered being gripped by a ride in the same way was with Dineyland's chilling "Pirates of the Caribbean", and dreamy "Peter Pan" ride over London in miniature some twenty years ago!  Universal Studios' action-packed Transformers' ride is one for the books. I loved it!


The Woodpeckers with Marion, me and Narra, Mama Rubi and Oliver, and
our celebrant, Guijo - fast asleep.

Ok, ok. So maybe we adults enjoyed Universal Studios Singapore more than our kids did, and the attractions I liked the most were truly not baby-friendly.  Just as well, our kids were asleep half of the time anyway. And we made sure that when they were awake, we took them to the few kid-friendly attractions there were, which they did enjoy! It was August 19th, Guijo's 1st Birthday, and we decided to celebrate his milestone by indulging the inner kid in each of us, and having one fun day at the theme park. 














6 comments:

  1. I read your blog and I really liked it. I have to say it is very well written. I am a travel bogger and have the following sites:

    www.funfoodandtravel.com
    www.businesstravelconnection.com
    www.cheapoairtravelblog.com

    I would love be a guest blogger for you. So, contact me ashwin@cheapoair .com if you are interested.

    Ashwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping a message here! Will surely check out your blogs :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my husband and I are also planning to go to universal together with our baby. I was so excited because you mentioned something about the child swap program. By any chance, is the transformers ride, and cyclone ride part of this?

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Just mention to the staff that you wish to do a child swap, one of you will be left behind to carry your baby while the other goes in to enjoy the ride; Then when that parent returns, your baby changes hands and the other parent sails through the queue with the child swap pass. We only tried the child swap on 2 rides, but I'm pretty certain it should apply to Transformer's and Cyclone as well. Good luck and enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Hi Nikki! I'm a pinay mom too. You have a very nice blog and I love how detailed you are when you write. We're going to Universal SG this Sat. About the child swap program, do you mean per ride, we just inform the staff in that ride that we wish to do a child swap?
    Thanks,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete