Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Swiss Choco Cake from Becky's Kitchen For Guijo's 3rd Month

Guijo's 3rd Month Cake: Swiss Choco
from Becky's Kitchen

I use the 19th of every month as an excuse to hold a small gathering in celebration of Guijo's monthly milestones. I look forward to buying a cake for the occasion, a scheduled indulgence, really. For Guijo's 3rd month, I invited my college barkada over to our house.  These are my Freshman Block L-19 classmates from school year 1994-95 at DLSU half a lifetime ago. So I tried to figure out what kind of cake would suit the situation, and I thought of getting the Swiss Chocolate Cake from Becky's Kitchen!

Becky's Kitchen along Zobel Roxas.

Its proximity to DLSU makes Becky's Kitchen a part of the collective memory of many Lasallians...ok maybe not everyone, but at least the segment of the population who take the Pablo Ocampo/ Vito Cruz route to school. It's a familiar landmark, a beautifully maintained old house, made of wood, with ventanillas and grills done in the old style, a stately corner house that speaks of better times for the area, when the neighborhood was home to Manila's old rich.  I love going to this bake shop to pick up cakes. I love the wide double doors, the floor tiles, and high ceilings. The restored old house I live in now is similarly structured, and for a moment I let my mind imagine I am back in time. It is a pleasant errand, from my residence nearby, to Becky's, and back again, from one old house to another - with my prized purchase kept safe and perfect during the short ride.  The Swiss Choco Cake is a decadent creation, layers of chocolate sponge cake with a super sweet crumble filling reminiscent of Violet Crumble and Red Ribbon's Coffee Crunch. To make it even sweeter, the cake is generously coated with white icing. 

My guests (l-r): Ian and Elaine (pregnant),
Diane, Pierre and Joy (also pregnant), Tetet

The cake was so sweet we only had a thin sliver each, haha, at least for the first round! Our afternoon merienda stretched from 3 pm to 9 pm, which meant ample time to eat leisurely and keep coming back to the cake for a second, and even a third helping. By night's end there was still half a cake left even if we nibbled at it all evening. What great mileage from an awesome cake! For the price of 465 pesos, it's value for money! I'm looking forward to the next event where I can bring something from Becky's Kitchen.




1 comment: