Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A healthy start to December: Getting Narra To Eat Green Leafy Veggies

Narra's first encounter with kale.
                           

I'm not waiting until January to start fresh. Today, December 1st, I re-launched my Cohen eating plan and stocked up on lots of greens and lean meats. While at the grocery, I was excited to discover that kale was available at S&R. I just read a magazine feature on this super-nutritious vegetable. I wanted to try the kid-friendly recipe for kale crisps which promised to be as fun and tasty as potato chips.

The Redbook Magazine article with this kale recipe.
                                        

Sunday morning, after Narra had her breakfast, while she was still in her sleepwear, I roped her into our kitchen adventure. I got her to rip the curly leaves off the stems, then had her spray some extra virgin olive oil on them, then we used our hands to spread the oil around to cover each curly leaf.


Extra Virgin Olive Oil sprayed on kale leaves.
                                         

Then we arranged the leaves on baking sheets, a task Narra enjoyed thoroughly. I may not do a lot of cooking, but I know Narra will grow up with a lot of memories of us doing stuff together in the kitchen.



My excited toddler fiddling with her veggies!
                                   

We popped the kale in the oven and it was done in just 5 minutes! We sprinkled salt on top and voila - crisps!


P80 pesos worth of kale leaves crisping in the oven.
                                    


We dug into our bowls the same way we attack pop corn :-) It was crispy and salty and had a distinctive crunch. It was still slightly bitter-like, in a raw-cabbage way, just enough to remind one that it is a veggie and not anything close to Cheetos. 



Our healthier alternative to potato chips :-D
                             



As an experiment in getting Narra to eat veggies, it's a resounding success! She munched on her bowl of kale with gusto! Yay! Kale would be rather hard to eat otherwise, in its raw state it can be tough to chew on, and the taste could be off-putting. But Narra are a good serving! And we bonded in the process.

Willingly eating her greens! Woohoo!
                                        



2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Did you stop the cohen program that's why you relaunched it? Why did you stop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jing, The Cohen Program has stages: Eating Plan (strict part); Re-feeding (adding more food and quantities); and Maintenance (for the rest of your life). When you gain weight and go beyond your upper goal weight, you can return to your Eating Plan again. So I officially "graduated" from the Program when they sent me off to the real world with my Maintenance Guidelines :-D That's a great reason to "stop" the Cohen Program. I was very happy to reach my goal weight, but every so often, I find the need an desire to relaunch my Eating Plan :-D

      Delete