Wednesday, January 30, 2013

At A Grand Fiesta While On A Strict Diet & My Story of Faith


Sunday: In front of the family's carrosa bearing the Sto. Niño de Vida Eterna
owned by our nephew Arlo Carsi Cruz Aniag, and his parents Beto and Rina. 

If you asked around, you will hear many stories of little miracles taking place with help from the Sto. Niño, especially when it comes to his fiesta.  Last year, my sister in law Rina, was in pain, and couldn't walk much. But she was going to be the coming year's Hermana Mayor, and had a duty to join the procession.  She managed to walk all over town - her debilitating pain disappeared as though by magic.   This year, she invited us to join the procession, it seemed like it was going to rain, and for a tense few minutes, it started to drizzle...but the sky held together, and the dark clouds disappeared.  I had my own little miracle too.  A very little one, almost not worth mentioning, but it's important to me!  It has to do with my Filipiniana terno, made for me some 15 years ago - a tailor-made, body-hugging red number.  Last minute, I tried it on for size, and to my utter astonishment, it fit me! It's a miracle! 

I'd given up on fitting into that red terno long ago.  I had packed it up for good in a storage box up in the attic at my parents' house.  I was going to wait 15 more years before retrieving it, so I could pass it on to my daughter Narra when she turns 18.  I figured, it would be cool to give her a heritage piece, a vintage terno she can wear to formal Filipiniana affairs.   I last wore that terno in 2003.  Now, some ten years and two kids later, I had the gall to try it on again - that's one thing I love about being on the Cohen Eating Plan, it gives one renewed confidence to revisit old favorites...I have special clothes I couldn't bear to throw or give away - they are stored in the attic in that special place I save for history - which now, with the Cohen Program - has become a space for attires to consider in the near future!!!  As though time warped, I see past, present, and future, collapsing now that the Cohen Program gives my body's growth a chance to follow a non-linear path. Prior to this diet, my body's evolution was set on a discouragingly predictable course: each year meant another inch added to my waistline!  Not this year though. I've lost 4 inches in 4 weeks.  In many ways, I see in a fiesta, the same principle of time collapsing ...  yes, this fiesta is about tradition, and heritage - but it is also a lot about what's current, about trends today, and those to come. In some ways it's about anticipating the future - whether in fashion, floral arrangements, and event styling.  


The hermanas mayores Rina and Bianca Aniag in dramatic Filipiniana gowns.


This year, my sister-in-law wanted a Venetian-themed fiesta, and her Filipiniana terno on Saturday was hot pink and festooned with ostrich feathers. The rest of the gowned ladies in the processional entourage used vibrant hues of deep reds, rich purples, royal blues, shimmery ochre, and emerald green.  I thought Filipiniana meant jusi and piña, and other muted hues similar to parchment paper in old archives.  I was wrong. The prevalent interpretation of Filipiniana at the fiesta was as colorful as glossy pages of the spring issue of a high fashion magazine.  The fiesta felt old and young at the same time; historic but also faddish; solemn and deeply devotional on one level, but also subversively licentious and carnivalesque. That Saturday, I wore a new gown, purple in hue, with a sparkling beaded strap - for the Venetian-themed masquerade-like Testimonial Dinner.  I saw how colorful the palette was, for women's wear, and I knew the traditional piña gown I planned on wearing for the next day, Sunday - the main fiesta day - was possibly going to be out of place. I called my mom in the middle of the night - my ever supportive mom - whose life is modeled after our Lady, Ina ng Laging Saklolo; I asked her to climb up the attic, get my red terno, so I could pass by for it the next day. Sure, it's an old piece, but a bold choice of color back then, but oh, so appropriate now! I prayed it would fit me. Last minute, we passed by my dress on the way to Malolos. I fit it...one button closed, then another, down to my post-pregnancy belly. Moment of truth. Will it fit my waist? It did! Because miracles happen. Because I had faith. In God, in the Sto. Niño, in the Cohen Program!


Saturday procession before the Venetian-themed Testimonial Dinner.
Behind me (left), Rina in her feathered hot-pink terno.

The thing about faith is, it gets stronger if you nurture it.  My faith in the Cohen Program was growing every day, and fitting into old clothes has strengthened my resolve even more. It wasn't too hard to resist all the appetizing food at the fiesta.  There were the usual favorites: Lechon (whole roast pig; and whole roast calf), Kare-Kare, Chicken Galantina, Lengua, Lumpiang Sariwa, Grilled Tuna, Sisig...among others - and sweets! - Leche Flan, Buco Pandan, Fruit Salad, and Sago't Gulaman.  There were festive street food offerings along the procession's path: popcorn sold outside the church; freshly roasted salted peanuts, still hot in their little brown paper bags; cornick! - done Malolos style... I looked at them all and savored the memories they evoked, and admired the way they looked.  Did I regret not eating the food on offer? Nope. Not only because I had faith in the Cohen Program, but also because I had faith in the efficacy of sacrifice as a means to gain divine favor.  Like many other practitioners of folk piety, I joined the rest of Pinoys with their own personal panata (sacred vow).  I offered my little acts of sacrifice - going through the trouble of finding an attire that seemed suitable, even if it meant going out of the way; walking in the heat for hours, in heels, and formal wear, while hungry; and joyfully abstaining from partaking of the sumptuous feast spread before me. 


Fiesta food in abundance - food I did not eat.

I brought my own Cohen-compliant grilled chicken salad and arranged it on a plate - and because it was a fiesta - I made sure to bring festive condiments to match: a bottle of balsamic vinegar, my olive oil spray, and a salt mill - just so I'd have pre-meal rituals to perform, in flavoring my food, while my fellow diners were lining up at the buffet.  I enjoyed my dinner, and crunchy apple for desert - and drank in the atmosphere.  It made me think of the relevance of a fiesta. Observers of a different persuasion may see a lot to criticize.  How can the faithful find God in all this pageantry amidst real poverty? In thinking about this question, I remember an old friend telling me about the etymology of the word "enthusiasm", coming from "En" and "Theos" or, translated, means "in God".  This friend said to be enthusiastic is to be infused with the breath of God.  And there in Malolos, in the unwavering patience of the ever-growing crowd - in their willingness to stand for hours to watch more than 230 carossas snake their way through narrow streets, I saw an unmistakable enthusiasm, so fervent, gripping, and palpable - it made me rethink Marxist notions of the role of religion in keeping the poor in perpetual poverty.  The stories of the most opulently decorated carossas are not always about the landed class and old rich cementing their stature; many (if not a majority) of the grandest carossas are from deeply grateful families with stories of rising from poverty and achieving prosperity.


My Grilled chicken breast with salad (dressed with balsamico and olive oil)
right across from me is the chopping table for the lechon :-D


Motivations for participating in the feast are varied: mostly for thanksgiving, and supplication for prayers to be granted; but also for atonement for sins. There is a desire to restore balance: hermanos gives back to the community after having received so many blessings. Whatever their personal motivations, the enthusiasm is overflowing.  It is seen in the beautifully decorated carrosas, the spirited dancing, frequent fireworks, festive lights and continuous music.  Those with money, spend for food, flowers, fireworks, and fashion - those without money, offer their presence, voice, movement, or skills...and everyone, rich and poor alike, come together for collective prayer.  All these acts of devotion (church-sanctioned or otherwise) change the energy of the city, shaking the vibes of even the saddest corners of the town.  Elsewhere in Southeast Asia, festivals are also held to restore balance - in Bali, to name just one example, the island resets during Nyepi, and establishments close, and everyone takes a break from serving tourists, as the locals focus on performing rituals in honor of the spirits.  In Malolos, too, one gets the feeling of the city re-charging. Old houses have their windows open, with their residents out on the  balconies. Santo Niño images hidden indoors in private altars, are taken out to the streets to be recharged with the energy of fervent and publicly displayed collective belief.  Fiesta time is an opportunity for renewal of the public and private kind.


Oliver and I, on stage, watching the grand procession of more than 230
uniquely decorated carros  pass before us. We were hungry, but happy.

This too, is how I view my Cohen Program - it is like my own personal fiesta - a means to restore balance, and change the energy of my body, and shake up the saddest corners of my being.  I am only a month into the program, and already, I find myself enthused, as I haven't been in a long time.  The fact that I was able to fit into an old terno from long ago isn't the only miracle... there is an even bigger one.  To be enthused is to be infused with the breath of God. And wearing my red gown, at this fiesta, was not really about clothes - it was about restored faith... (and this time I am not referring to my belief in the science of Dr. Cohen)... I am rediscovering my beauty from within, and I am truly believing again, that I am made in the image and likeness of God, and I am rediscovering dormant aspects of my spirituality.  To have fatty parts is to be human. To have faith and enthusiasm, is divine.  I thought going to a grand fiesta while on a strict diet was going to be hell. But in the end, it turned out to be a heavenly experience. The spirited participation of everyone present, myself included, permeated my skin, and I feel fired up inside. I want to do so many things right now - to work, to move, to write, to learn, to love, to live!  It's a miracle. Thank you Santo Niño! Viva!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment