Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Best Friend's Wedding and Why I Couldn't Stop Smiling

Tristan, the dashing groom, watching his bride,
Nona, as she approaches the altar.
There are days in one's life, very special days, when one couldn't stop smiling, even if one were to try really hard.  There's a kind of happiness that comes from deep within, so deep, that it taps into the core of the universe and energy flows in such abundance it cannot be concealed. The lucky person who feels such energy will exude an unmistakable glow, not just through smiling lips or eyes, but even through the skin. And when you are in the presence of such palpable energy, you will know it, feel it, and be inspired. This, dear friends, is why I love going to weddings, and how I gauge whether I've attended a really good one. I was just at my best friend's wedding, and I got to witness what I was hoping for - I felt it - that unmistakable feeling when you know destiny is being fulfilled. I am familiar with Tristan Jovellana's many faces, and I was anticipating a look on his face worthy of his wedding day. Oh how I basked in its light when I saw it! He was giddy-happy-proud-fulfilled-in-love.  And I, feeling profoundly connected to my dearest friend, tapped into his energy, mirroring his happiness and amplifying it further. I couldn't stop smiling too. What delicious energy it was to soak in!


My dad and mom getting to walk down the aisle. 




Tristan and Nona, the groom and bride, honored our family by asking us to take part in their wedding: they invited my parents to be Primary Sponsors (godparents), they asked me to be a Secondary Sponsor (candle sponsor), and my little girl was their flower girl.  My husband, Oliver was away on a business trip to Europe so he couldn't join us, but my sister Marion was able to come. Our family came full force for the occasion because Tristan is close to our hearts. He brought cheer to our home at crucial points - he's responsible for bringing to us a most beloved pet, my mom's dog Pirouette, who offered a decade's worth of joy and companionship to my parents when my sis and I left home to live abroad and they had to deal with an empty nest. He did stunning interiors for our new home, with his design touches always getting a lot of compliments from our guests. And when I lived abroad, he was one of the truest friends I had, who remained my constant anchor in the Philippines, always making time to meet up whenever I'm in town. His participation at my own wedding is unforgettable: I walked down the aisle to the sound of his beautiful voice - he was singing soulfully as I made my way to Oliver. My parents brought me to the altar, and so did Tristan through his song, accompanying me to the very last millisecond of my single days.  I wanted to share in his joy on his wedding day, as he did with me on mine.

My mom and dad, Walter and Sonia, Ninang and Ninong to Tristan and Nona.

And my parents, I am so glad they are ninong and ninang to the newlyweds. They were two smiley people on Tristan and Nona's wedding day. When they walked down the aisle for the bridal procession, they looked like a young couple on a special date.  Truth be told, both my dad and mom were not feeling well  - they were lethargic, fatigued, and sick before and after the event. But during the wedding and reception that followed, they were energized and in good spirits. A magical moment can do wonders. Even Narra, who acted up and refused to walk down the aisle at the start of the wedding, was already smiley afterwards.








At the reception, there were lovely details that made guests feel extra welcome. There were tiny picture frames functioning as place cards. Next to my photo frame was that of Oliver's and my daughter Narra's. Oh how I missed my husband! I remembered our own wedding day, and how he looked as I approached the altar. I remember how I felt, and what joyous energy coursed through my veins.  I remember how we smiled, our super happy smiles, so uncontrollable our gums showed. It's a mental picture I constantly replay, and it never fails to brighten cloudy days.

Individual photo frames serving as place cards (with photos of me, Oliver, and Narra)

To Nona, I have this bit of advice: always remember how Tristan looked on your wedding day.  There will be days in your married life when you would have doubts - on those dark days summon the memory of an important truth, that your husband declared his love for you on your wedding day, not just from the heartfelt vows he uttered at the altar, but from the triumphant exuberance he projected through every pore of his skin. A couple of weeks before your wedding day, Tristan visited me at home and we had a heart to heart talk, and I asked him about his fears regarding marriage - and he told me one fear - one that I feel if I share in public against his will is a beautiful betrayal he could forgive. Nona, he told me the most beautiful fear any woman would wish her man would say: he feared he might lose you.  Tristan, who used to be the center of the universe, the charmingly narcissistic and endearing megalomaniac who needed only himself to be happy, finally needed someone else for real, for good - someone he cannot bear to live without.  He found you.  And if you ever question the depth of his love for you, remember that he oozed with joy on your wedding day,  and was consumed with emotion as he said his vows. He exuded love, and electrified those close to him with his happiness. This kind of joy cannot be faked or forced, or performed. It comes from a sacred source and happens only by grace.


Tristan, Nona, and my sister Marion.

Remember my wedding message for you both: Don't just rely on love to sustain your marriage, but rather, rely on marriage to sustain your love. When I lit your wedding candle I summoned all the best wishes and good vibes I could muster, and prayed that you would have a marriage that is truly blessed. Thank you so much for inviting my family to share in your big day. It was such a beautiful affair that all of us also felt beautiful! And I, with my post-partum body, can't thank you enough for making me feel happy in my own skin again with all that positive energy.  You gave me a precious few hours to relive the beauty and joy I felt on my own wedding day. Thank you, oh thank you.


7 comments:

  1. Oh, dear Lord! How could you do this, Niks?! I was reading this post on the bathroom counter with tears rolling down my cheeks, then I enter the bedroom and see Nona reading the same post, looking teary-eyed! Hahahah! We hugged each other so tight afterwards, basking in your love, and that of your family's. You really know how to analyze situations with surgical precision, while imbuing them with magickal inspiration! And yes, EVERYONE looked beautiful that day! Love, good cheer and light can do that! I love you, Niks, my best friend, one of the celestial forces that moved me to committing myself to Nona and to the covenant of marriage! Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you both and I look forward to sharing more milestones with you for the rest of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I was incredibly moved by your post... It also made me think of my own wedding and my husband.
    You look great and best wishes to the couple!
    You're writing is truly brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, for your encouraging words. Your comment came when I needed some inspiration, so thank you again!!! May your marriage be blessed with a lot of great moments now, and always :-D -Nikki

      Delete