Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Our Baby's Circumcision: A Mother's Point of View


There is a wealth of information on neonatal circumcision available online, and there are robust debates on the pros and cons of subjecting babies to the procedure. Despite the availability of info, I found myself lost and confused and unsure about making a stand on the subject, and I was all too willing at some point to just leave it up to my husband to decide for our son.  Before giving birth, I just pushed the topic aside - but a day after Guijo arrived, on August 20, when Guijo was a day old, our pediatrician Dr. Pia Lorenzo, asked us THE question: to clip or not to clip?

I asked Doc Pia many pertinent questions, and fortunately, I was given a lot of straightforward and relevant answers which ultimately helped me form a stand. By the end of our conversation, I was convinced to go for the circ. The next day, August 21, 24 hours before we were discharged from the hospital, Guijo went for his circ, and I watched the entire procedure from preparation to recovery.  I wanted to make sure I was nearby in case I was needed for breast feeding to comfort him.

One of the questions I asked Doc Pia was: how will the procedure be done? She gave a comprehensive explanation of various methods available in the US (I won't mention them all here), focusing on the Gomco method which will be used on Guijo.  Neonatal circumcision with the use of a Gomco clamp is usually quick and effective and results in very little bleeding. In addition, Doc Pia explained to us that after the procedure, they will take some time for exposing Guijo under a lamp and his wounds would be dry before we take him home.

Who would do the procedure? was my next question. Doc Pia highly recommended our gynecologist Dr. Theresa Henson, as someone who does the procedure perfectly. This was very reassuring news for me. I already trusted Dr. Henson with my life - so as far as I was concerned, if anyone was going to touch our "family jewels" it would be her! Dr. Henson had a very well established practice and had a spotless reputation which was cultivated through years of exceptional work. Circumcision is an elective cosmetic procedure, one that has an aesthetic dimension, as well as real medical risks. We needed someone precise and authoritative.  Truth be told, part of my decision to go for the circ was influenced by the knowledge that it was Dr. Henson who would do the procedure. I trusted her a great deal. If I waited until my son was a pre-teen to do the procedure I wasn't sure if I'd meet a doctor with whom I'd share the same level of trust.

How will my son be handled? Dr. Pia assured me that careful research went into the handling of infants before, during, and after the circ. Everything was studied, how to swaddle them in ways that best provided reassurance and comfort.  I saw this for myself when I watched them prepare Guijo for the procedure (see photo above).  They first swaddled his upper body snugly, to inhibit hand and arm movement, but also to make him feel secure.  They elevated the upper body slightly, and his legs were positioned in a spread-eagle, using folded swaddling blankets tucked firmly under a specially designed board, as restraints.  He looked snug, and securely positioned in place.  Then he was moved to the circumcision room where the operation took place. There was a glass panel from which I could view the proceedings. In typical Dr. Henson fashion, she wielded the Gomco clamp expertly, and worked fast. When the actual clipping took place, Guijo cried and immediately, a pacifier with sugary water was put in his mouth, and I saw him suckle at it vigorously.  He stopped crying in an instant - the diversionary tactic worked! Guijo seemed more focused on the taste and new sensation offered by the pacifier. It was around 11:05 am when they started, and by 11:15 he was being transfered back to the nursery. It was done quickly and I'd say Guijo was handled perfectly. He was exposed under a lamp for a couple of hours, for drying time and recovery.  Afterwards, I was summoned to breast feed him.

When Dr. Pia examined Guijo the next day to clear him so he may be discharged from the hospital, she inspected the circ and said it has healed really well, it looks really good, and it was done perfectly. A week later, when we rushed Guijo to the hospital for an infection, we were worried the circ had something to do with it, but all the doctors who took a look at him that week (there were around half a dozen of them), were uniform in their assessment that the circ was done really well, has healed completely, and is in no way whatsoever related to the infection Guijo had, which was from the Staph Aureus bacteria, a very common bacteria which infected his cord stump.  Whew!

On a lighter note, Dr. Pia told us she's seen a lot of penises in her pediatric practice, and not all circs are created equal - some are prettier than others - and according to her, those done by Dr. Henson are some of the prettiest ones around! This brings to mind the traditional summer time practice of gathering the village boys by the riverside where they would form a line, be made to chew on guava leaves, and their tips would be clipped one by one, quickly and efficiently - with little regard for aesthetics. It's a rite of passage that many parents wouldn't deny their kids. I hope my son doesn't hold in me in contempt for denying him his spot on the chopping line - but in case he questions my decision one day, I'll tell him that if one were decided on going for a circ, might as well do it pretty, precise, and (relatively) painless.

8 comments:

  1. I never held it against anyone when they were circumcised as a baby. Perhaps there's a tinge of envy -- because it is quite scary for a 11/12 year old. I have foggy memories of some minor teasing that I witnessed but hardly significant.

    However, guys do enjoy talking about their rite of passage and strut like cocks about it. Me included.

    I do want a son, and this is something worth thinking about. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to ghostlightning: For a parent it's a heavy burden to decide on doing something irreversible, the consequences of which your child has to live with! But I guess parents have to get used to making tough choices - like choosing a name!! Or administering vaccines even if they have known risks!! I just hope my son doesn't get mad at me if he feels a tinge of envy towards his peers who earn bragging rites for courageously hurdling a scary and painful rite of passage. I wish you the best when your turn comes :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki, I totally forgot about circumcision the day Brenzie was born! Hubby didn 't bring it up, our pediatrician was out on a trip, and I just stayed one night at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamcy, I didn't think about the circumcision either! Until my pedia asked us if we wanted to do it and we had to decide fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2279166/Circumcision-DOES-reduce-sexual-pleasure-making-manhood-sensitive.html

    Circumcision reduces the penile sensitivity and according to British Journal of Urology it's estimated to be 75%. sorry for saying this but you deprived the sexual sensitivity of your boy you are a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Martial for your comment,
    I wish you didn't resort to name-calling. It would be good if you could state your ideas in a way that constructively instructs future mothers confronted with the same decision without having to antagonize, demonize, and alienate those whose decisions are not consistent with your views. I will not strike out your comment from my blog, I do wish other mothers would read what you have to say on the matter- I believe this will help them in making their decision.

    My husband was circumcised as a baby too, and I interviewed my mother-in-law before going the same path. I also talked to my husband at length about the topic. Between your brief comment on my blog, and my husband's lengthy and careful recommendation - which he arrived at based on his personal experience and deep desire for our son's welfare - I believe I listened to the right person (I also asked for a length discussion from our very thorough pediatrician). I've known since day one that motherhood would require taking tough calls, and for every debate there would always be those in favor and those against - I know for every decision I will either be questioned, or will inspire others to do as I have. I am open to dialogue. But not to name-calling.

    Good luck on your advocacy and campaign. May you spread your message in a more dialogical manner from hereon.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Gomco clamp is a wunderful Method ;-).Thank you for Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from a country were boys are usually not circumcised, but I decided to get it done as an adult due to tight foreskin. I was really glad I finally did it as I feel it's a lot more hygienic and looks better as well. So, when my wife and I found out we were having a boy I suggested getting him circumcised to avoid the issues I had. First she was very hesitant and didn't see any reason to cause our son unnecessary pain. However, she's also a scientist and believes in looking at all the available facts.

    She did her research and eventually agreed that the benefits outweigh the risks and we should circumcise him. She also looked at the different methods (Mogen, Plastibell, etc) and found that the Gomco would yield the best result in terms of hygiene as the procedure removes all the foreskin, so that bacteria has nowhere to hide. We were both present during the procedure and it went very well. The doctor used the Gomco clamp and explained everything as he was performing the circumcision and the end result was perfect! My wife admitted that she was scared for no reason and was really glad that we did it. She likes the cosmetic result as well and thinks our son's "pink helmet" is pretty!

    ReplyDelete